You might be looking for Simplilearn reviews and would like to understand the value of its PMP certification training course.
I have written this article after examining, evaluating and analyzing their PMP credential training programs – both online self-learning and instructor led online. I have written about pros and cons of their programs.
In this post you will find complete Simplilearn PMP review. After reading it you would know if Simplilearn PMP Certification training course is a good buy or not.
The Simplilearn PMP training course is designed by Jeff Allen and Tim Jerome. It is based on PMBOK Guide 6th edition.
It has a good mix of elearning videos & reading material. It provides 35 PDUs / contact hours of formal project management education for taking the PMP certification test.
Simplilearn is a very old and established training company. It is one of the world’s leading certifications training providers.
Simplilearn offers many courses on different subjects. It offerings training courses on Business, IT, and Management certifications. All the courses are designed by the experts in their respective fields.
Unlike many other PM training companies, Simplilearn does not focus on any particular subject. I believe this is a serious shortcoming.
Simplilearn PMP Review
I have done a thorough and critical review of Simplilearn PMP course. I have also compared it against the other leading PMP training courses.
Simplilearn is a PMI Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.).
Let us start by taking a look at its offering.
Overview of Simplilearn Training Program
Simplilearn program provides a good mix of project management knowledge and PMP exam prep material. It includes 8 industry case studies, 20 industry based scenarios, and 6 hands-on projects that help in gaining project management knowledge. It also includes PMP orientation videos, 7 simulation tests, and other exam related study material.
Simplilearn PMP training is delivered in two formats:
- Self-learning online– this includes 180 days access to 29 hours of videos and online eLearning content.
- Online classroom– this includes 90 days access to multiple batches of instructor led virtual classes and 180 days access to self-learning content.
The course is divided into multiple lessons with each lesson catering to a Knowledge Area (KA). Each KA has videos that enhance the learning. There are a quizzes at the end of each chapter that validate students’ learning. Overall it includes all of the following:
- 35 contact hours / PDU certificate from Global PMI REP
- Complete coverage of PMBOK Guide 6th edition and exam objectives
- Exam prep material updated for 2018 changes
- 29 hours of online videos
- Downloadable presentation slideshow
- 8 industry case studies and 20 industry based scenarios
- 6 hands-on projects
- 7 full length simulation exams
You will receive 35 contact hours certificate after completing this course. This will fulfill the mandatory educational requirement for taking the exam. It can be your first step towards the credential exam.
Overall, the program design is good. But it fails to completely address many aspects of the exam preparation.
Let us look at look at the pros & cons.
- The enrollment process is simple and easy.
- The Learning Management System (LMS) is intuitive and easy to use. It keeps track of your learning progress.
- The content can be accessed via Android and iOS apps. You can potentially learn at anytime and from anywhere.
- The videos have studio quality and are very well made.
- The eLearning material is designed by experts. It has all the attributes of a good self-learning training viz. decent pace, good voice quality, clarity in instruction and streamlined flow.
- The content includes learning games and quizzes to help you regularly check & validate your knowledge.
- The content includes 7 Full-length mock tests, which are essential for the final exam prep.
- The course does not completely focus on the PMP exam. It dilutes the focus by talking about case studies and other things. PMP is a difficult exam and you need a razor-sharp focus to crack the exam.
- The duration of many videos is less than a minute. Even though the content coverage is complete but frequent change of videos is extremely disconcerting. You have to change the video to learn a topic completely.
- The study assistance is provided through online forum by regular support staff. You do not get support from PMP experts.
- The videos could have been made more interesting by including some anecdotes.
- The pace of instruction is not good. Sometimes you want skim/skip over a few things. The video player does not have the feature to increase/reduce the speed of instruction.
- Simplilearn does not share the profile of their trainers on their website. The actual trainer may be completely novice.
- The price of the course is extremely high as compared to the competition.
Review Rating – Is PMP Certification Training Good?
|Technology Aids:||(4.5 / 5)|
|Study Aids:||(3.5 / 5)|
|Study Assistance:||(3.0 / 5)|
|Access Duration:||(5.0 / 5)|
|Content Quality:||(3.5 / 5)|
|Average:||(3.9 / 5)|
Final Words – What Is The Value of PMP Simplilearn Certification Training?
Simplilearn is an old & established training company. They have been providing good quality courses for almost a decade. But I would suggest you to look at other options.
As per my Simplilearn PMP review, this course provides good orientation of PM Fundamentals. The program includes a flexi-pass that gives access to multiple instructor classes during 90 day period.
However, on the downside the program does not completely focus on the exam prep. It is richly priced even after the discount. They do not share the credentials of their trainers. It seems as if they are hiding something.
If you are looking for a self-learning program, I would suggest you to look at my comparison article on PMP Online Courses to find the best course.
Otherwise, if you want to do an live online course then you should read my article on review and comparison of PMP boot camps before taking the final decision.
If you want to learn PM fundamentals and looking for a well designed program, then you can buy this course. It is available at special exclusive discount on this blog.
Simplilearn logo is taken from the company website.
Over To You
What is your analysis of Simplilearn courses? Do you agree to my review comments?
What, in your opinion, are pros and cons of Simplilearn PMP training?
Please leave a comment.
Disclosure: I have not received any compensation (in cash or kind) from the Authors or Simplilearn or anyone else associated with the training courses. But this article contains affiliate links – it means that, if you click & buy from these links then, I will receive a small commission. This commission helps me in maintaining this blog for free. However, you don’t pay anything extra. I do not actively use any of these products since I am already certified. But, I recommend only those products that I believe will definitely help the certification aspirants.