35 Contact Hours Through Self-Learning Online PMP Training
In this post I have talked about the benefits of a PMP Online training (also called self-learning virtual training) over other forms of training courses and reason why it is the best way to attain 35 contact hours. I have also described what is a contact hour and how do online courses satisfy PMI’s project management education requirements.
Try to Google “PMP Training”.
What do you see? You will be astounded (rather confounded) by the search results. You will find thousands of companies vying for your attention to buy their course(s).
So which course is right for you? Rather than solving your query, Google search results leave you confused and stumped. You just cannot decide which course is right for you.
Don’t Worry! After reading this post, you will have a good idea about different forms of training programs and how online courses outscore the other forms of training.
Project Management Education & 35 Contact Hours
As a certification aspirant, you need 35 contact hours or more of instruction that addressed learning objectives in project management. The hours may include content on scope, schedule, cost, quality, human resource, communications, risk, procurement, stakeholders and integration management.
One hour of Classroom instruction equals one contact hour.
Self-study through books, videos or any other form of informal learning does not satisfy the educational requirements. But, on the other hand, PMI recognizes eLearning courses.
How Does PMP Online Training Satisfy 35 Contact Hours Requirement of PMI?
You can satisfy the education requirements by demonstrating the successful completion of courses, workshops and training sessions offered by Distance-learning companies, including an end-of-course assessment.
PMI’s PMP Handbook
As it is apparent from the above statement, a PMP online training with an end of course assessment meets the PMI’s education requirement. But before you buy a course, you should keep the following things in mind:
- Although not mandatory, it is better to opt for a course from PMI’s (Registered Education Provider) REP.
- The course should have good mix of videos and other instructional material like ebooks and practice questions.
- The course should cover all topics of project management (as described in the previous section).
- There should be an end-of-course assessment.
- You should get a completion certificate at the end of the course.
- It goes without saying that content quality should be excellent as below par content can hurt your chances of passing the exam.
- The course should be taught by a native English language trainer as the exam is administered in English language only.
You can read my article on review and comparison of top online courses to invest in the best training program.
Why Should You Opt For An Self-Learning Virtual Course Over Other Forms of Training?
You can get PMP training in 3 different forms viz. physical classroom, virtual classroom, and self-learning online. There are obvious pros & cons of each forms. Let’s talk about the benefits of PMP online training over other the other forms of training. A self-learning course
- is least expensive and pocket friendly.
- is available at a time and place of your choice. It gives you a lot of flexibility.
- does not give you information overload in a short span of time. You can study in short spurts and digest the new knowledge before jumping to a new topic.
- saves you commute time. You don’t need to travel anywhere to attend the training.
- gives you a choice to learn at your own pace. Whereas in other forms of training, you have to learn at the pace of the instructor.
- gives you flexibility to follow your own style of learning. You can watch all the videos, read ebooks and then do exercises. Or, you can do exercises immediately after learning a new topic.
- allows you to use your idle time for the exam prep. You can listen to the audios and watch videos while you are doing mundane jobs like jogging, commuting, waiting at Doctor’s, transiting through airport etc. You can potentially save 25% of your preparation time.
Remember! Before you decide to invest in such a course, you should prepare yourself for a disciplined approach towards self-study. You should make a study schedule and follow it religiously.
Over To You
Which form of training were you contemplating before reading this article? Do you agree that PMP online training is the best way to get contact hours?