You might be wondering if PMP Online training can be used for 35 contact hours of project management education. Short answer is yes, it can be used.
In this post, I have described what is a PMP online training, what are 35 contact hours, and how an online course satisfies PMI’s project management education requirement. I have also discussed the benefits of an online program over other forms of training courses and reasoned why an online PMP training is the best way to get 35 contact hours.
Project Management Education & 35 Contact Hours
You need 35 contact hours of formal project management education to apply for the PMP credential exam.
As per the PMP handbook, one hour of classroom training is equal to one contact hour. The PMP handbook categorically states that self-directed learning (e.g.books, watching instructional or sessions with coaches or mentors) does not satisfy the educational requirements.
One hour of Classroom instruction equals one contact hour.
It seems that online courses cannot be used for getting 35 hours of project management education. A long time ago it was true. But, things have changed since then. PMI now recognizes eLearning courses for getting 35 hours education. Let’s see how.
PMP Online Training & 35 Contact Hours
You can satisfy the education requirements by demonstrating the successful completion of courses, workshops and training sessions offered by Distance-learning companies, including an end-of-course assessment.
PMI’s PMP Handbook
It is apparent from the above statement, a PMP online training with an end of course assessment meets the PMI’s 35 hours education requirement. But before you buy an online PMP course, you should keep the following things in mind:
- Although not mandatory, it is better to opt for a course from PMI’s (Registered Education Provider) REP.
- The course should have good mix of videos and other instructional material like ebooks and practice questions.
- The course should cover all the learning objectives of project management (scope, schedule, cost, quality, resource, communications, risk, procurement, stakeholders, and integration management).
- There should be an end-of-course assessment to meet PMI’s definition of 35 contact hours.
- You should get a 35 contact hours certificate at the end of the course.
- It goes without saying that content quality should be excellent as below par content can hurt your chances of passing the exam.
- The course should be taught by a native English language trainer as the exam is administered in English language only.
Why An Online PMP Course Is Best Way To Get 35 Contact Hours?
You can get PMP training in 3 different forms viz. physical classroom, virtual classroom, and self-learning online. There are obvious pros & cons of each forms. Let’s talk about the benefits of PMP online training over other the other forms of training. A self-learning PMP online training course
- is least expensive and pocket friendly.
- is available at a time and place of your choice. It gives you a lot of flexibility.
- does not give you information overload in a short span of time. You can study in short spurts and digest the new knowledge before jumping to a new topic.
- saves you commute time. You don’t need to travel anywhere to attend the training.
- gives you a choice to learn at your own pace. Whereas in other forms of training, you have to learn at the pace of the instructor.
- gives you flexibility to follow your own style of learning. You can watch all the videos, read ebooks and then do exercises. Or, you can do exercises immediately after learning a new topic.
- allows you to use your idle time for the exam prep. You can listen to the audios and watch videos while you are doing mundane jobs like jogging, commuting, waiting at Doctor’s, transiting through airport etc. You can potentially save 25% of your preparation time.
Caution! Exam prep through an online program needs discipline and self-control. You will have to prepare a study schedule and follow it religiously.
Final Thoughts – Which Self-Learning Online PMP Training Course Is Right For You?
Try to Google “PMP Online Training”.
What do you see? You will be astounded (rather confounded) by the number of search results. You will find thousands of companies vying for your attention to buy their course(s).
So, which course is right for you? Do these courses provide 35 contact hours? Rather than solving your queries, Google search results leave you confused and stumped. You will not be able to decide which course is right for you.
Don’t Worry! To help you choose the right course, I have done a comparative review of top self-learning courses.
Over To You
Which form of training were you contemplating before reading this article? Do you agree that PMP online training is the best way to get 35 contact hours?