You may be looking for the best PMP online training course to prepare for the certification exam. You will find review and comparison of top online training classes (also called as self-learning, on-demand PMP training and elearning programs) in this article. Additionally, you will find my rating, ranking, and recommendation for each program.
An online PMP exam prep course is the cheapest and most flexible way to accrue 35 contact hours of formal project management education that is required for the PMI’s credential test.
There are tens (if not hundreds) of such virtual classes available on the Internet today. All of them look similar on the surface but you should shortlist one that has good videos and study material. A excellent choice can increase your chances to pass the exam in your first attempt, whereas a bad one can spoil your chances of success.
Don’t worry! After a thorough review and careful research & analysis, I have listed the features, pros, and cons the top PMP training programs.
Note: As per the PMI ATPs (Authorized Training Providers) guidelines, ATPs cannot sell a self-learning course. If you are looking for an ATP course then you should look at my other article on the best PMP live boot camp.
The Best PMP Online Training Courses For The Certification Exam Prep
PM Prepcast vs Brain Sensei vs Velociteach vs PMTraining vs CyberVista
|Cornelius Fichtner||Brain Sensei||Andy Crowe||Christopher Scordo||CyberVista|
Does Provider Issue Mandatory 35 Hours Certificate?
Are Videos Done by a Native English Language Trainer?
Which Technology Aids are Available?
|LMS||Yes. Good.||Yes. Very Good.||Yes. Good.||Not Available||Unknown|
|Mobile Access||Downloadable Videos||Requires Internet||Requires Internet||Requires Internet||Requires Internet|
|Technology Aids Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(2.5 / 5)|
Which Study Aids are Available for the Students?
|Presentation Handout||No||No||No||Yes. Downloadable||No|
|Video Content||50 hours||20+ hours||35 hours||30+ hours||19 hours|
|Study Guide||Yes. StudyCoach Guidebooks.||No||No||No||No|
|Chapter End Quizzes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Final Mock Questions||2100+ questions with 90 days access to the PM exam simulator||800 questions||1100 questions.||200 questions. 1000+ more questions at a special price of USD 50.00.||Separate Package for $149|
|Formulas Guide||Yes. Downloadable detailed Guide with examples.||Yes. EVM Formulas chart.||Yes. Formulas chart.||Yes. Formulas chart.||No|
|PMBOK Guide Process Chart||No||No||Yes||No||No|
|Tips & Tricks||Yes. As part of the course and through weekly newsletters.||Yes. As part of the course.||Yes. As part of the course.||Yes||No|
|Other Content||a) Live Feedback||a) 9 interactive story-based eLearning modules |
b) 13 exciting storyline challenges to complete
|a) Case Study |
b) Course Progress Checklist
c) Interactive Process Explorer
d) Project Plan Stack Exercise
e) Earned Value Exercise
|EVM& CPM Exercises||Study Calendar|
|Bonus Material||Learn From The Experts – Email Course |
PMP Exam Study Checklist
Subscription to the PMP Exam Tips Newsletter
Access Exam Discussion Forums
Advanced PMI® Exam Strategies – Email Course
Sample Exam Score Worksheet
Contact Hours Worksheet
|Study Aids Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3 / 5)|
How is Study Assistance Given?
|Study Assistance||Yes. Through live feedback & online forum.||Yes. Through email and Facebook Group||Yes. Through email and chat.||Yes. Through email.||None|
|Study Assistance Rating||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3 / 5)||(1 / 5)|
What is the Access Period of the Course?
|Till the next PMP exam change.||365 days||3 months||90 days||180 days|
|Access Period Rating||(5 / 5)||(5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(5 / 5)|
How Good is Quality of the Content?
|Content Quality Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)|
Financial Attributes of the Program
|Course Demo||Available||Available||Available||Available||Not Available|
|Refund Policy||90 days. Conditions apply.||30 days. Conditions apply.||30 days. Conditions apply.||24 hours. Conditions apply.||30 days. Conditions apply.|
|100% Pass Guarantee||No||Yes||No||No||No|
|Price||USD ||USD ||USD ||USD ||USD 689|
|Financial Rating||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(2 / 5)|
|Overall Rating||(4.4 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(2.6 / 5)|
|Buy At Discount||Reveal Coupon & Buy|
Review of Top Online PMP Classes
I have reviewed and compared the top PMP courses but you need only one for your exam prep. Now, it is your turn.
The PMP certification is an expensive affair. The training cost is one of the major component of the total certification cost. You should choose your training course judiciously. A good training could improve your chances of success whereas a bad one can lead to the failure in the exam.
Each course has its own advantages and disadvantages. You can buy any one of them based on your unique preferences. Let me elaborate a bit more.
First Choice – PM Prepcast
Cornelius Fichtner is renowned educationist and well respected figure in Project Management training industry. Every year thousands of aspirants successfully pass the exam by studying from Cornelius’ training material. He is the founder of his company and the creator of many exam prep products.
Among all courses, this course is most reasonably priced. It has got the highest rating in our comparison. The best part is that you can download all the videos. If you decide to invest in this course, then I would recommend you to buy in PM PrepCast Elite Plus as it offers better value than other variants.
The Elite Plus variant is price at USD 389 whereas the Basic variant is priced at USD 279. However, the Elite Plus variant comes bundled with a StudyCoach Guidebooks and 2100+ practice questions PMP Exam Simulator. The Simulator is separately priced at USD 149, but you would save on that cost by buying it as part of Elite Plus.
Second Choice – Brain Sensei
Brain Sensei’s course is completely different from any other program that I have seen. It teaches the PMBOK Guide’s topics Process Group wise. This is really helpful in understanding the project management concepts. The topics are covered as part of a long story, which makes the course very engaging. You never feel bored. The lessons are interspersed with small quizzes & exercises that validate your learning as you go along.
The best part of the course is that it comes with 100% pass guarantee.
You may feel that this course is somewhat more expensive than some of the other choices presented in this article but, I believe it is worth every penny.
This course is available at an exclusive discount on this blog. You can buy it at 25% below its listed price.
Another Second Choice – Velociteach
Velociteach is a leading provider of PMI certification training, other project management training, and exam prep products. The company was founded by Mr. Andy Crowe. He is the author of bestselling exam prep book titled The PMP Exam – How To Pass On Your First Try.
Velociteach also runs CAPM and PMP Boot Camps. Their classes are conducted by knowledgeable and experienced trainers. There are many advantages of choosing Velociteach as your PMP provider. It provides comprehensive study material and step-by-step guidance. You will get all the tools you would need to successfully pass the exam in your first try.
Fourth Choice – PM Training
Christopher Scordo is a well known personality in the Project Management training industry. His book (PMP Exam Prep: Questions Answers & Explanations by Christopher Scordo) is one of the best selling books for the exam prep. He is the founder of PMTraining.
This course course is cheapest of the lot and offers rich study aids that can help you to pass the exam in your first try. It is almost complete in all respects except for one thing viz. an exam simulator. You would need to buy extra practice questions to complement this course.
The major drawback of this course is that the provider does not issue a 35 contact hour certificate. So, this course will be useful only if you have already accrued 35 contact hours from another training.
I believe, one of my recommendations would suit your needs. You can buy any one of the recommended courses mentioned above. However, if you want to explore more courses, you can use the key parameters (described in the Appendix below) to review, evaluate and compare any other course(s) that is not covered in this article.
Highlights of Training Programs
- PM PrepCast is available in three variants – Basic, Elite & Elite Plus. Elite Plus is the most expensive of the lot as it includes coaching sessions and foruma guide. PM PrepCast Elite is a combo product that includes PM PrepCast Basic, PM Exam Simulator (1000+ practice questions), and a few other exam prep products as detailed in the table above. PM PrepCast Basic is a self-learning online course without the Simulator.
- Brain Sensei course is completely different from the other programs. It is extremely easy to grasp the PMBOK Guide concepts as the topics are taught Process Group wise. It comes with a 100% pass guarantee.
- Velociteach’s course is also available for 1 month & 6 months access for USD 388 and USD 660 respectively. I have considered 3 months access for comparison, which is available for USD 540.
- PMTraining program includes a number of study aids. It has almost everything except for the final simulation tests, which can be bought separately for a special price of USD 49. It is a very good preparatory course but the company does not issue a 35 contact hours certificate.
Review And Rating Parameters
I have compared and rated the programs on some key factors or attributes that are essential for a self-learning program. You should weigh these parameters before enrolling in an PMP online training. Here are those parameters and rational for my ratings:
- 35 Hours Certificate – Many training providers give access to the online training material but they do not issue the 35 contact hours certificate. Since this is a mandatory certificate for appearing in the exam, a training course is useless without it.
- Native Language Trainer – The exam is conducted in English. It is extremely useful to learn from the content that has correct English grammar and idioms. The online videos and the other content should be prepared by an trainer whose native language is English.
- Technology Aids – The availability & quality of Learning Management System (LMS) and accessibility of eLearning material over mobile devices are very important for an on-demand program. LMS keeps track of your learning progress and learning through mobile devices can save a lot of time. I would have given a 5 star rating if the providers were giving a fully-featured Learning Management System (LMS) and a mobile app. There is something or the other missing in each program. Hence, I have given a lower rating of 4 and 4.5 depending on the quality of the LMS and availability of the mobile app.
- Study Aids – A PMP online course should provide additional study material besides the video and audio content. The video and audio content is good for understanding the concepts, but actual learning comes from practice tests, downloadable workbooks, formula guide, glossary etc. I have given the rating based on the quantum and utility of study material given by the providers.
- Study Assistance – Many courses provide study support through emails, private forum discussions, and webinars; while some others do not provide this feature. Since you are studying on your own, this is a crucial feature to clarify the doubts. You might feel lost in the absence of such a feature. A PMP online course should provide such a feature. I have given the rating based on the quantum and type of support given by the providers.
- Access Period – I believe duration of access period for eLearning course should not be less than 90 days. I think 90 days is more than enough to prepare, study and pass the exam. I have given 4 star rating for 90 days or 3 months access and 5 star rating for more than 90 days access.
- Content Quality – The quality of content is another important aspect of a PMP online training course. You would have to study & understand things on your own. You will face problems, if the content quality is not top-notch. The written content, pictures, graphics and illustrations should be clear & readable (in presentations & videos). The speech quality should be excellent in both video & audio content – the instruction should be clear, well-paced, and without any discernible accent. Overall, the content should be engaging & interesting. I have given rating on content quality after critically reviewing the videos and other study material.
- Financial Attributes – If there is a pass guarantee, the training provider either refunds your fees or allows you to continue to access the course till you pass the exam. A pass guarantee is a good attribute. It suggests that the provider has created an excellent course and he is willing to take a financial risk. If all the other things are equal, then pass guarantee is an icing on the cake. Additionally, you may need refund of your money in some situations. Most providers have some sort of refund policy. I have given rating based on the training fee, pass guarantee, and refund policy.
Disclosure: I have not received any compensation (in cash or kind) from the Authors or the Training Companies or anyone else associated with any of the training courses. But this article contains affiliate links – it means that, if you click & buy from these links then, I will receive a small commission. This commission helps me in maintaining this blog for free. However, you don’t pay anything extra. I do not actively use any of these products since I am already certified. But, I recommend only those products that I believe will definitely help the certification aspirants.
Company logos taken from respective company websites