You may be looking for the best PMP boot camp online class to prepare for the certification exam. You will find review and comparison of the top online training programs (also called as live online, virtual, and instructor-led online classrooms) in this article. Additionally, you will find my rating, ranking, and recommendation for each program.
An online boot camp provides the best learning environment for the certification exam prep. It is led by an instructor and teaches you PMP concepts in a short, intense, and rigorous training course. You can earn 35 contact hours in a short span of time without any distractions. It is akin to a military training camp, with very harsh discipline.
Note: 35 hours of formal project management education is mandatory for the PMI’s credential test. You can either get it from a live training or you can do through an on-demand PMP course. The latter is not conducted by PMI ATPs (Authorized Training Providers).
The Best PMP Boot Camp Live Online Training Classes For The Certification Exam Prep
PM Master Prep vs Christopher Scordo vs Velociteach vs Greycampus vs Project Management Academy vs Master of Project Academy
|PM Master Prep||Christopher Scordo||Velociteach||Greycampus||Project Management Academy||MOPA PMP Live|
|Is The Provider A PMI Authorized Training Partner (ATP)?|
|Does The Provider Issue Mandatory 35 Hours Certificate?|
|How Good Are The Trainer’s Credentials?|
|Instructor Bio||Click here||Click Here||Click here||Not Available||Not Available||Click Here|
|Native English Language Trainer?||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Unknown|
|Experienced & Knowledgeable Trainer?||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Unknown|
|Trainer’s Credentials Rating||(5 / 5)||(5 / 5)||(5 / 5)||(5 / 5)||(5 / 5)||(3 / 5)|
|What Study Aids Are Provided As Part Of The Program?|
|Knowledge Area Study Guide||No||No||Yes. Andy Crowe’s book.||No||Yes||No|
|eLearning Content Included?||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|eLearning Demo||Not Available||Available||Available||No Available||Not Available||No|
|eLearning Access Period||Lifetime||3 months||6 months||6 months||12+ hours downloadable lectures||No|
|Knowledge Area Questions||500||300||1200 through Andy’s book & Insite||No||No||No|
|Final Practice Questions||2100||Free Memebrship to PMTraining’s PMP practice exam portal value $68||1800||1700||2000||750|
|PMP Formulas Guide||No||No||No||No||Yes||No|
|PMBOK Guide Process Chart||No||No||No||No||Yes||No|
|ITTO Memory Jogger / PMP Memory Map||No||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||No|
|PMP Tips & Tricks||No||Yes. Part of eLearning videos.||Yes. Part of Andy Crowe’s book and Quick Reference Guide.||No||No||No|
|Glossary||No||Yes||Yes. Part of Andy Crowe’s book and Quick Reference Guide.||No||No||No|
|Other Study Material||Personalized Study Plan|
Weekly Accountability Coaching
Live Coaching with PMP Experts
|Officially Licensed PMP Curriculum from PMI|
Bonus PMP On-Demand Course ($348 Value)
|All in one kit –|
Quick Reference Guide
Pre Class Webinar
|1 live mock exam solving session|
3 simulated tests
Access to official PMI content
|PMP Exam Prep Training Guide|
Quick Study Guides
Online Course Lectures
|Lifetime access to 35 Contact Hours|
– Online Self-Paced PMP Training
One hour Online One-on-One PMP Coaching Session
|Study Aids Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(3 / 5)|
|How Long Is The Class Duration?|
|Total Instruction Hours||45 hours of study time||42 hours of study time||36 hours of study time||32 hours of study time||30 hours of study time||28 hours of study time|
|Class Duration Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)|
|Flexibility In The Class Timings|
|Schedule Flexibility||Custom Study Plan||
7 hours classes conducted over 2 weeks
4 full week days – 10 am to 7:00 pm
10:00 AM – 06:00 PM ET
|Flexible. Different options available||
Partially flexible schedule.|
4 full week days or weekends classes based on preference
|Class Transfer||Not required.||Yes. Free transfers available before the class starts.||
Free – 15 days before the class starts.|
USD 250 – within 14 days prior to the class.
USD 500 – after the class starts.
|Yes. Free transfers||Yes. Free transfers available before 7 days.||Yes. Free transfers available 72 hours before the class starts.|
|Flexibility Rating||(5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3 / 5)||(3 / 5)|
|How Is The Student Support Provided After The Class?|
|Study Assistance||Yes. Through phone & email with the Instructor.||Yes. Through phone & email with the Instructor.||Yes. Through Velociteach’s training team.||Yes. Through email with the Instructor.||Yes. Through phone & email.||Yes. Through Master of Project’s training team.|
|Interaction with Instructor?||Yes. Live coaching call every week.||
Yes. During the class and through phone & email.|
One-on-one special sessions on phone.
|Yes. During the class and through phone & email.||Yes. Only during the class.||Yes. Only during the class.||Yes. Only during the class.|
|Interaction with Peers?||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Application Assistance?||Yes. Through zoom call and step-by step guide.||Yes. From Instructors.||Yes. Through email & phone||Yes. Through email.||Yes. Through email.||Yes. Through email.|
|Offline Support Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3 / 5)||(3 / 5)|
|How Good Is The Quality Of The Content?|
|Content Quality Rating||(4.5 / 5)||(4.5 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(4 / 5)||(3 / 5)||(3 / 5)|
|Information About The Other Attributes Of The Program|
|Company Review||Not available||Available||Available||Available||Not available||Available|
|Pass Guarantee||Non-stop coaching until you pass.||Perpetual course access till the student passes. (with conditions)||100% fee refund after 3 unsuccessful tries in 1 year.||No||No||No|
|Refund Policy||100% refund within 7 days.||100% fee refund after 3 unsuccessful tries in 120 calender days after class concluding.||
Course Fee minus USD 500 – 30 days before the class starts.
|100% fee refund within 24 hours..||100% fee refund after 3 unsuccessful tries in 120 calender days after course completion.||100% refund – 72 hours before the class starts.|
|Price||USD 1997||USD ||USD 2447||USD 990||USD 1995||USD 1497|
|Overall Rating||(4.6 / 5)||(4.3 / 5)||(4.2 / 5)||(4.1 / 5)||(3.5 / 5)||(3.1 / 5)|
|Buy At Discount|
Review of Top Instructor Led Live Online PMP Training
The PMP Exam preparation is an expensive affair. The training cost is one of the major expenses. You should choose your training course carefully. The quality of complete training package should be good and it should provide a good value for your money.
RMC is an established brands in the project management training industry. Its offerings is popular but it has not fared well in our comparison. Some aspects of RMC’s program is very good, but its overall rating is low. Moreover, RMCLS ourse does not even provide 35 contact hours certificate. A 35 contact hours training is mandatory to take the PMP exam. I would not recommend you to buy RMC course.
After doing a thorough research, review and evaluation, here is my final recommendation.
First Choice – PM Master Prep
PM Master Prep teaches you everything that you need to pass the PMP exam. It will transform the way in which you take the information. You need not memorize the things instead you have to understand the concepts and prepare for the PMP exam. Overall it is a very good investment
Second Choice – PMTraining
Christopher Scordo is the founder of PMTraining. He is a well known personality in the Project Management training industry. His book (PMP Exam Prep: Questions Answers & Explanations by Christopher Scordo) is one of the best selling books for the exam prep.
PMTraining’s course is a traditional virtual classroom course. It provides very good schedule flexibility. It is the most reasonably priced course in our comparison. Its rating is little bit lower than our first choice.
Overall PMtraining program is excellent. You can invest in it without any fear.
Third Choice – Velociteach
Velociteach’s program has many benefits. For last many years, Velociteach has been named as PMI’s Education Provider of the year. Velocteach course is not the highest rated course in our comparative review. It does not provide schedule flexibility, which I think is a must for a live online course.
This program should suit you if you are looking for a brand name and are not worried about the extra dollars. But, I would suggest you take a look at other programs since it is exhorbitantly priced.
Fourth Choice – Greycampus
Greycampus is a leading online training provider. It provides many courses on a range of topics like Project Management, Big Data, Data Science, Service Management, and Quality Management. Its offering includes many popular exam prep courses like Prince2, Six Sigma, and ITIL. It has accreditation with many leading global certification bodies including Project Management Institute (PMI), USA. You can choose the Greycampus course for your PMP exam prepration.
I believe, one of my recommendations would suit your needs. You can buy any one of the recommended courses mentioned above. However, if you want to explore more courses, you can use the key parameters (described in the Appendix below) to review, evaluate and compare any other course(s) that is not covered in this article.
Review & Rating Parameters
What are the key factors or attributes that makes a PMP live online training good? What are the things that you should look out for before enrolling in such a course?
I have used some key parameters that are must for an PMP live online training. I have used these to compare and rate the programs. Here is the list of parameters, their details, and rational for my ratings:
- Authorized Training Provider (ATP) – This is not an essential feature of a live PMP program, as a non-ATP can also also issue a 35 contact hours certificate. However, an ATP status gives more credibility to the provider. Moreover, the certificates issued by a ATP are pre-approved by PMI. I believe you should invest in a training from an ATP only, since you would be spending a huge amount to get training for an extremely difficult exam.
- 35 Hours Certificate – 35 contact hours of project management education is mandatory to appear for the credential exam. In my opinion, there is no point is pending so much money if the provider does not issue a 35 contact hours certificate.
- Trainer’s Credentials – In my opinion, this is the most important aspect of an online boot camp. A trainer is your guide, your mentor and the coach. Most of your learning is going to happen in the virtual classroom. The trainer must have good knowledge and experience. He should enjoy good reputation and credibility in the industry. In addition, it helps to have a trainer whose native language is English. If you feel that the trainer is not good enough, then you should disregard the training provider. I have given a 5 star rating if the provider has prominently displayed their Trainer’s bio on their website and its instructors are experienced & knowledgeable.
- Study Aids – An online boot camp should provide additional study material besides the class instruction. The class instruction is good for understanding the concepts, but actual exam prep happens after the class. The provider should give you things like video & audio content, practice tests, downloadable workbooks, formula guide, glossary etc. I have given the rating based on the quantum and utility of study material given by the providers.
- Class Duration – Traditionally, the boot camps used to run for 5 days. But due to cost and time constraints, they have now shrunk to 4 days. In my experience, as a PMP trainer, 5 days or 35 hours of instruction is ideal for the exam prep. In today’s scenario anything more than 24 hours of instruction is good. I have given 4 star rating if the instruction time is between 24 to 28 hours. I have given a 3 star and 2 star rating if the instruction time is 18 hours and 12 hours respectively.
- eLearning Access – I believe access to eLearning content is extremely important for the exam prep. You can listen to the audios and watch videos while you are doing mundane jobs like jogging, commuting, waiting at Doctor’s, transiting through airport etc. You can potentially save 25% of your preparation time by using eLearning videos.
- Flexibility Rating – This feature may or may not be good for you. If you are need extra motivation and self-discipline then this feature could be a bane. You will be focused & diligent if you have to follow a strict study schedule. On the other hand, you can manage your time better if you have a some flexibility with the schedule e.g. short duration classes classes in evenings or on weekends etc. I have given the rating based on the flexibility of schedule in the class timings.
- Offline Support – Many courses provide study & administrative support through emails, private forum discussions, and webinars; while some others do not provide this feature. This is an important feature and your course should provide this feature. Your training provider should give some sort of offline study assistance. Most of your study will happen after the class. Study assistance is an extremely useful feature for extra motivation & clarification of doubts. You might feel lost in the absence of such a feature. I have given the rating based on the quantum and type of support given by the providers.
- Content Quality – The quality of content is another important aspect of a PMP online training course. You would have to study & understand things on your own. You will face problems, if the content quality is not top-notch. The written content, pictures, graphics and illustrations should be clear & readable (in presentations & videos). The speech quality should be excellent in both video & audio content – the instruction should be clear, well-paced, and without any discernible accent. Overall, the content should be engaging & interesting. I have given the rating based on my review of online study material given by the providers.
- Class Transfer – You may need this feature during some exceptional circumstances. Most providers have some flexibility if you give them a valid reason.
- Refund Policy – Just like the previous point, you may need to get refund of your money in an exceptional circumstance. Most providers have some sort of refund policy.
- Pass Guarantee – Some courses provide a pass guarantee. Generally, under such a guarantee, the training provider either refunds your fees or allows you to continue to access the course till you pass the exam. A pass guarantee is not a bad attribute in itself. If all the other things are equal, then pass guarantee could be an icing on the cake. Otherwise, do not get swayed by it. Do you want to enroll in a course to fail the exam? You neither want your money back nor waste time & money on additional PMP attempts. So, a better approach is to invest your time & money in a good, credible, and popular course.
I have not considered pricing, refund policy, and pass guarantee, while arriving at the ratings. I believe training programs should be compared on the technical factors like quality & content – pricing should not influence the rating. However, since everyone has a different budget, you should consider the price before taking the final decision.
Disclosure: I have not received any compensation (in cash or kind) from the Authors or the Training Companies or anyone else associated with any of the training courses. But this article contains affiliate links – it means that, if you click & buy from these links then, I will receive a small commission. This commission helps me in maintaining this blog for free. However, you don’t pay anything extra. I do not actively use any of these products since I am already certified. But, I recommend only those products that I believe will definitely help the certification aspirants.
Company logos taken from respective company websites