PMBOK Guide 6th Edition is the latest edition of the Guide…
In the last few months, I have heard a many such rumors about PMBOK Guide sixth edition. Many people have called me or sent emails inquiring about the latest edition of the PMBOK Guide. I believe the rumors started after PMI made an announcement about PMP Exam change in the early part of year 2015. The PMP exam changed in January 2016. The exam change happened due to change in RDS and not because of change in the PMBOK Guide. The PMBOK Guide latest edition is still 5th edition.
In April 2016, PMI released official information about PMBOK Guide sixth edition and PMP Exam change. Let us take a quick look at some of the highlights of this information. You can refer to the links from the PMI’s website at the end of this post for the detailed information.
PMBOK Guide 6th edition will be published in Q3, 2017.
PMP Exam Change will happen in Q1 2018.
Note: I would urge you to look only for authentic information and do not fall for any rumors. You should not believe in opinions, views, claims or any other form of information without looking at the background evidence. If you are in doubt, you can always visit PMI’s website.
What Are The Proposed Changes In PMBOK Guide 6th Edition?
There is very little official information available as of now. But here is a summary of changes:
1. There is no change in the Process Groups (PG) but 2 Knowledge Areas (KA) have been renamed
- Project Time Management is renamed as Project Schedule Management.
- Project Human Resource Management is renamed as Project Resource Management.
2. Three new processes have been added
- Manage Project Knowledge (part of Executing PG & Project Integration Management KA).
- Implement Risk Responses (part of Executing PG & Project Risk Management KA).
- Control Resources (part of Monitoring & Controlling PG & Project Resource Management KA).
3. Six processes have been renamed.
4. The Estimate Activity Resources process has been moved to Project Resource Management KA.
5. The Close Procurement process has been taken out. The details of this process are captured in Close Project or Phase process.
6. A new chapter on role of project manager has been added.
7. Detailed information about agile and iterative practices have been included.
There are some other changes as well but the details have not yet been published.
New PMBOK Guide and PMP Exam Change – Frequently Asked Questions
September 2016 Update: PMI has removed information regarding the PMP exam change on their website. They have not provided any updates. Till the time they provide any new update on PMP exam change, it will be fair to follow the previously published date, which was Q1, 2018. For reference, you can look at the archived PMI’s page.
Please leave a comment if you have heard anything about PMBOK Guide and/or PMP exam change.
I will update this article as and when more information is available. Meanwhile, I would urge the PMP aspirants to continue with their preparation and attain certification much before Q3, 2018. It takes less than 12 weeks to pass the exam.